RE: [Asrg] This research group will fail

2003-03-19 19:34:44
A ubiquitous and pervasive authentication mechanism has value even if
there
is no more spam.

Phill

.....and in most places it still doesn't work. ( ask the French
Gendarmerie where ID cards are mandatory )

And when it doesn't exist the Police are not rendered ineffective ( ask
the Police in the U.K. where ID cards are not used at all )

Any authentication mechanism has holes - check out the problems with DNA
identification. (... and yes I do know the difference between
authentication and identification. I just happen to believe that the
nomral 1:1 between legitimate email users and their addresses blurs the
distinction here )

Yes, there are processes where proving your identity to the satisfaction
of "the authorities" is mandatory e.g. drivers licence, gun licence etc.
etc.

But none of these has the ubiquity, utility or pervasiveness of email and
so will never hit the issues of scaling that trying to enforce strong
authentication on email users would meet.

I believe spam is a social evil and requires a social cure. There are not
Technical answers to all problems. Spam is a case in point.

OK, we may be able to do Technical things which can help in the short
term, but in the long term figuring out a way to get legislators in a
global context to harmonise the legal context for misuse of public
Services is likely to be the only solution.

And adapting "junk mail" laws probably won't cut it - extradited for
sending unsolicited leaflets?

Anyone remember E. E. Smith? The context here is very similar to the
reasons given in "Triplanetary" - but watch out! We could end up with
Judge Dredd instead of the Lensmen.....   ;-)

Regards,

tom.
Security Consultant/Analyst
CSC
Ph: +61 8 9429 6478    Email: tcleary2(_at_)csc(_dot_)com(_dot_)au
This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the
message permanently from your system and destroy any copies.

Sent by:        asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org