Re: [Asrg] This research group will fail

2003-03-19 19:41:02
Only in some limited cases (e.g. "the domain doesn't exist").  That
is one of the discussions ongoing here.  It sounds like a simple
thing to do, but it turns out to have lots of complications.

Hi,

The vast majority of my troublesome mail appears my untrained eye to be
easily identifiable.  Most of the SPAM I get comes from Domains that only
change a bit.  optprofessionals.com,  freegift.com, and a lot of others that
don't leap to mind right now.

I think a good place to start for SPAMMERS in a legal sense would be that
each message must contain a valid return address, and a way the person
receiving the message can reply and be removed without being directed to

That approach has a lot of supporters.  But you need to be careful
even there.  Establishing penalties for people who forge the return
address has potential to be good--but it makes anonymous speech
difficult.

I'm not sure *anonymous speech* is worth protecting.  I'm not saying Free
Speech isn't worth protecting, but I should not have the protection to say
whatever I want, and the protection of doing it under cover.  While I'm no
lawyer isn't there a distinction between *Free Speech* and *Freedom of the
Press* and what the framers of the Constitution wanted to protect was my
right to get on my soapbox down on the corner and launch into a diatribe on
the government, or any other topic I wanted to.  Seems to me that what I
write on the Internet isn't *Speech*, but *Press*, and there are all kinds
of restrictions on the press.  I can't publish the collected works of a
noted Child Pornographer for example.  Here in Canada there have been cases
that have said people to do not have the right to publish hate crime against
an identifiable group of people, the most common example would be people of
the Jewish Faith, but I don't believe I can be stopped from getting on my
sopabox down on the corner and denying the Holocaust.

 On the other hand, legislation that said it was okay to
spam if the return address was valid could potentially make your spam
volume much, much higher.

I would clarify that a bit.  My idea is that I be able to reply to a SPAM,
and asked to be removed from future mailings.   Currently there seems to be
no reason for a SPAMMER to do that because there are no repercussions to him
if he doesn't.  But with the backing of my ISP, if he is faced with losing
access to the entire Mail Server for NBTel, that may be enough of a penalty
for the SPAMMER to respect my wishes.    Today I am going to get at least 20
messages from

suzy-acbyxuqd(_at_)free-gift-offers(_dot_)com  to
suzy-yxtvmuxk(_at_)free-gift-offers(_dot_)com

The first part of the address changes all the time, but the Domain remains
the same.  I currently use a program called Mail Washer, and I have over
1000 messages from these people.  As a paying customer of NBTel they should
address concerns.  If they backed me up I'm sure it would stop

If I could stop SPAMMERS like that, my problems would be cut down by 85%, I
could live with the rest of the crap I get, and these folks could continue
on with their business, but just not bother me with it.

ian