Re: [Asrg] This research group will fail

2003-03-19 12:35:25
Hadmut Danisch wrote:

Hi,

I meanwhile came to the conclusion that this working/research group's will certainly fail.

I see strong interests to spoil any success of this group
to find a technical solution. This group is under a certain kind of attack: The commercial attack

Ah, but we are here now (on the list, in SF, whatever), and there is a real problem to solve. Like usual in the internet as we know it, there are people/businesses who will try to commercialize the problem, provide boxed and shrink-wrapped 'solutions', etc. This is nothing new, it has been happening for years. Fortunately, these people and businesses do not run the IETF (and related organizations). If we want to reach a concensus on how to solve the spam-problem, the IETF is the place to do that. We will just have to make sure that we do not get lured into someone's business plan, just like all research/working groups. RFC2026 is one tool to keep proprietary "solutions" out of the standards process. People who are vigilant against attempts to decommodotize protocols and infrastructure are another guard against this.

It was to be expected that those who stand to gain by spam (either by spamming themselves or by sellling anti/spam-related services) would try to secure their interests. This should not keep us from attempting to solve the problem in the 'traditional' way (rough consencus, running code, at least two interoperable implementations). It is premature to spell the demise of this initiative IMHO.

To paraphrase Churchill, 'we shall go on to the end... we shall fight them... we shall never surrender...'

Frank