RE: [Asrg] An amazing amount of spam

2003-03-19 09:16:22
I value my time far more than I value the Internet infrastructure. The
infrastructure can take care of itself and isn't really being burdened
since we expect to be able to have our own personal HDTV video streams
as casual traffic. Spam is zero percent of that.

But my time, now that's important.

And I also want to solve the problem of phone spam, and fax spam and
other intrusions. And paper spam. Any solution that just focuses on
legacy email isn't very interesting or vital.

For now I can do my own content-filtering (I am trying popfile at the
moment and have built my own tools also). That should give me some
respite so I can focus on the longer term issues.

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of
Chris Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:42
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] An amazing amount of spam

asrg(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com wrote:
This list is, in my definition, spam.

 It is effectively spam because the email system and tools makes it
too
difficult to manage and work with the messages.

You have somewhat of a point here.  Most mail readers are abysmally bad
at handling high volumes.  It's instructive, for example, to look at how

some of the better/more powerful Usenet newsreaders (eg: trn/gnus, _not_

netscape or IE.  I'm sufficiently unfamiliar with other Windows-based
Usenet newsreaders to venture an opinion.  Maybe "Agent" fits the bill)
allow one to handle considerably higher volumes than this list is.

Indeed, many people gateway mailing lists to local news servers simply
because the reader tools are better for high volume.  I do that with
many of the mailing lists I receive.

It works well.

However, this only makes the flow of gunk marginally less obnoxious.
Finding the signal in the noise is less difficult, but still difficult.
Usenet spam was a problem before Email spam was (and some blame me for
the existance of email by forcing Jef Slaton off Usenet... :-(.  And
secondly, this doesn't address the "overwhelming flood" doomsday
scenarios represented by Striker or our spamtraps.

So, as such, changing mail reader metaphors would indeed be a short-term

fix (and not a fix at all for some scenarios), not a long-term one. We
have to recognize that spam volumes are indeed threatening the Internet
infrastructure, and a long-term that doesn't include reducing volume
means total failure.