RE: [Asrg] An amazing amount of spam

2003-03-19 14:15:15
At 2:33 PM -0500 3/19/03, <asrg(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com> wrote:
My filter ain't that great -- just adequate. Sure, you can attack with
me a DOS or a DDOS but that's not spam, that's simply a tantrum or
worse.

I think you missed the part where the ISPs (and some domain users) have come to realize that there *is* no detectable difference between a flood of spam and a DoS.

In fact, that's literally true of my mail server. I had to turn of the DoS protections in my new router because it kept disabling port 25 every time my mail server overloaded.

Not to say that we shouldn't be discussing user-only features (even content filters). But we shouldn't blow off the network problem. And we *definitely* should not deploy end-user solutions that aggravate the network problem. Auto-generated email addresses fall into that category.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.