RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 11:07:33
At 05:33 PM 3/17/2003 -0800, you wrote:
--On Monday, March 17, 2003 4:38 PM -0800 Steve Schear <schear(_at_)attbi(_dot_)com> wrote:

At 04:54 PM 3/14/2003 -0500, Jason Hihn wrote:
IANAL, but the Supreme Court has ruled that we have the right to be left
alone.

Unfortunately, it is not a "right" and I don't think they ever did. The quote you are referring to was from SC judge Louis Brandeis' minority opinion in Olmstead v. United States (1928), a
wiretap case.

Try the ruling in:
ROWAN v. U. S. POST OFFICE DEPT. , 397 U.S. 728 (1970)397 U.S. 728

"We therefore categorically reject the argument that a vendor has a right under the Constitution or otherwise to send unwanted material into the home of another. If this prohibition operates to impede the flow of even valid ideas, the answer is that no one has a right to press even 'good' ideas on an unwilling recipient. That we are often 'captives' outside the sanctuary of the home and subject to objectionable speech and other sound does not mean we must be captives everywhere. See Public Utilities Comm. of District of Columbia v. Pollak, 343 U.S. 451 (1952). The asserted right of a mailer, we repeat, stops at the outer boundary of every person's domain."

as delivered by Chief Justice Burger.

it's closer, but seems to speak to the limitations and lack of certain "rights" of the sender or speaker rather than the affirmative granting or acknowledgement of the "rights" of the recipient or listener...but IANAL either.

Right on the money. We all get 4th Class adverts in our postal boxes but few seem to complain even though we are forced to spend a few valuable seconds of our time each day dealing with it. How is this markedly different, financially, from email spam? Following along the apparent line of reasoning of the above decision no commercial entity would be able to contact me w/o prior authorization, and we know this will never become the law of the land. Because many spammers may not be repeat offenders to the same party, opt-out systems won't work. Opt-in might but who's laws will prevail in enforcing them.

I'm dead center in the sender-pays camp, Proof-of_work initially and anonymous bearer stamps later. Its the same tried and true system that limits the spam in my postal box to a small amount, almost all from credible parties. It doesn't require major changes to the email infrastructure, though clients would need to be enhanced (web-based email could add this almost immediately, plug-ins may suffice for some, like Eudora), nor new legislation. Initial users may find they become less "reachable" to casual contacts, but that should only last a short while if sender-pays becomes popular.

steve