RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 13:47:09
At 02:53 PM 3/18/2003 -0500, Damien Morton wrote:
> [...]

Obviously open servers become a financial liability to the people
running them, but then, that's part of the goal.

No, I don't think it is. The goal of sender-pays is to reduce spam by shifting the burden onto the sender and not the intermediaries, whom ever they may be. Your alternative might more accurately be called intermediary-pays.

Nothing stops them from
running free and open servers, but any mail they handle and send on to
other servers will be charged for by the receiving servers, or is simply
not accepted.

Too limiting and unnecessary. A criteria for spam reduction, relatively widely supported (esp. within the U.S.) on this list, is not to effectively narrow anonymous communications.

steve

"War is just a racket ... something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small group knows what its about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses." --- Major General Smedley Butler, 1933