Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-19 10:24:42
At 18:07 +0100 3/19/03, Frank de Lange wrote:

Just what I'm afraid of. Adding 'peering agreements' to the mail infrastructure would outcast most smaller ISP's, let alone those who want to run their own mail server. Peering would be a privilege reserved for the big and powerful, the rest would have to bow to their will. I think we want to avoid this.

Not that I'm in favor of any sort of peering agreements, but this has been tried and failed and I don't think it's a grave concern... remember when AOL mail could not go to CompuServe, etc? If the kids can't get Granny's mail, the lot of them will switch to whatever ISP is convenient... with NxN connections, neither consumers nor ISPs can place themselves in a sweet spot in the current world. By example, AOL is uniquely in a spot to close its borders, but can't afford to because the rest of the world isn't going to join up and the utility of its offering depends on access to outsiders.