Re: [Asrg] SMTP & NNTP ?

2003-03-19 10:26:56
wayne wrote:
In <8iA+PRmJcDD(_at_)3247(_dot_)org>
list-ietf-antispam(_at_)faerber(_dot_)muc(_dot_)de (Claus Färber) writes:

Chris Lewis <clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com> schrieb/wrote:
Netnews might be part of the solution to email spam. Netnews is quite
efficient at one-to-many communication and does not suffer from spam as
much as email does.

Careful about that.  I didn't write the above.

I have long since stopped reading Usenet because of the spam problem
there.  I hear that the spam problem has decreased a lot in recent
years,

It has. Most newsgroups outside of the various sewers in alt.* are quite good these days.

but I suspect that is as much because email spam is more
effective at reaching large numbers of people than any other technical
reason.

Usenet spam is quite effective in terms of people reached/message. The reason for that is partially as you say. But perhaps much more so because anti-spam on Usenet is vastly easier to do with Usenet than it is with email.

Mailing lists give a lot more control over abusing users, whether they
spam or otherwise, and I doubt that you will ever see a mass migration
back to Usenet.

You're quite right there.