RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 12:54:58
At 02:29 PM 3/18/2003 -0500, Damien Morton wrote:
> I'm dead center in the sender-pays camp, Proof-of_work initially and
> anonymous bearer stamps later.  Its the same tried and true
> system that
> limits the spam in my postal box to a small amount, almost all from
> credible parties.  It doesn't require major changes to the email
> infrastructure, though clients would need to be enhanced
> (web-based email
> could add this almost immediately, plug-ins may suffice for
> some, like
> Eudora), nor new legislation.  Initial users may find they
> become less
> "reachable" to casual contacts, but that should only last a
> short while if
> sender-pays becomes popular.

Actually, sender-pays could be implemented at the ISP level. ISPs would
automatically pay for stamps on outgoing mail, and bill it back to the
sender.

Sender-pays also doesn't even have to use stamps. It can be implemented
as a financial arrangement between two mail servers (relays or
otherwise). Mailservers run by entities that trust each other could even
reconcile any handlign fees at the end of the month or even year.

How does this work when clients use an open access Wi-Fi link or other situations where free and anonymous access is being granted?

I think it would be important for every receiving server to be able to
set its own charges. These could even be listed in an extended MX
record

I think it even more important that each recipient set their own rates. Is a Nobel laureate's email reading time worth the same as a house wife's sharing the same ISP?

steve

.

"War is just a racket ... something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small group knows what its about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses." --- Major General Smedley Butler, 1933