[Asrg] Amend the RFC to require reverse DNS

2003-03-18 13:01:22
Greetings - One of the most effective anti-spam measures I have taken on my
mail servers is to require the sending mail server's IP address to reverse
resolve to the name it uses in its HELO command.  While this is a violation
of the RFC it eliminates lying machines and forces accountability on the
sending server.  Yes, I know it can be forged or spoofed however it still
significantly raises the level of effort required on the part of the
spammer.  I've had to turn this check off due to customer complaints however
I am reconsidering this decision.  Amending the RFC to *REQUIRE* correct and
complete DNS setup for a SMTP client would go a long way towards reducing my
undesired traffic.  It would also address the customer (and clueless
administrator) complaints with a simple "I am following the rules"  How can
you argue with that?

Regards
Mike