Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-20 09:41:45
At 04:04 PM 3/19/2003 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
Frank de Lange <frank(_at_)unternet(_dot_)org> wrote:

>All this talk about 'handling rates' and charges and stamps and such...
>how will we make sure that this does not become just another profit
>center?

I like the Microsoft Penny Black idea of refundable stamps, which is
unfortunately not described on their web page. The idea being that
legitimate email is effectively free, but unwanted email costs money.

Having spend some time working on algorithms for proof-of-work systems
that take a comparable amount of time on all sorts of computers, they
also make the point that schemes like this are doomed by Moore's Law.
Hence work on a mechanism that can provide a proper financial incentive
to use email responsibly or at least professionally.

http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/PennyBlack/

Funny how they focus on the ticket service, the only variant that requires a central server run by, err, guess who?

steve