Re: [Asrg] Content versus conversation

2003-03-17 22:21:47
John Johnson <jjohn(_at_)mail(_dot_)sirinet(_dot_)net> wrote:
The problem with spam is not the content, but the conversation.

  No, I disagree. I perceive the content to be spam,

  That's *your* decision, and as such, should be outside of the scope
of this group.

  That's what the rest of my message was trying to explain.  I had
hoped people would read past the firsdt sentence...

 much
  in thw way tools like SpamAssasin and Vipul's Razor judge
  the *content* in an automated fashion. Or, an ISP
  client. They could care less about the "envelope".
  They care that the content is objectionable.

  I think you missed my point.  You're judging that the conversation
is unacceptable based on it's content.

  If the content filters worked perfectly, then they would filter out
(for example) posts on a mailing list from people telling you they
didn't like you, or your mother.  They would filter out posts from
your best friend who occasionally sends you an angry message.

  Content filters can't do that, and shouldn't.  You occasionally *do*
care to receive inappropriate content, because in the right context,
it's OK.

  Offers of sex for money from unwanted strangers is spam.  A message
from your wife sending you email at work saying "hurry home, I'm
ovulating!" contains a similar content, but your response will be
significantly different.

  The only reason you're using content filters to delete spam is
because the methods to stop the conversation from the spammer aren't
working well enough.

  Alan DeKok.