Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 11:13:37

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 07:57  AM, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:

So the best way to resolve this is to make it hard/impossible for spamemrs
to deliver email if they are falsifying headers.

True. But a big problem here are open relays.And a big problem there are installations with ancient, buggy, unpatched software -- lots of open relays are boxes still running Sendmail 8.9 or older, for instance.

Given you can't get these sites to update that software now, how do we fix this without their cooperation?

One way, frankly, would be to make a decision to no longer accept email from sites running these ancient versions of the software, a variation of the current black holes. Might not be a bad thing to consider: it's easier than a relay check, and sites could then sign up and simply say "we won't accept email from broken sites any longer".

any other ideas?

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/