RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 22:53:17
At 10:32 AM -0500 3/18/03, David Green wrote:
On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 04:16, John Rumpelein wrote:
 *Identification* is often problematic.  How do you identify the individual
 responsible for sending you a piece of spam?  This is a non-trivial problem.

If you're not talking about digital signatures, you need only identify
the ISP IMO. The ISP can further sub-identify it's users if it so
chooses, since only it knows who really sent the email.

There are plenty of people reporting abuse to ISPs right now. There are entire services dedicated to it, and most ISPs have lots of people on their staff handling those complaints. However it doesn't have a significant impact on spam. Losing the sending account is simply part of the cost of business for a spammer. And of course there are certain countries whose ISPs never respond to abuse requests. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that we can afford to stop receiving email from them.

However, anything that makes identifying the ISP more reliable is certainly a boon. The number of false reports is way too high. And a reliable mechanism would make it easier for MUAs to auto-report spam.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.