Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 07:53:54
On Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003, at 09:16 Europe/London, John Rumpelein wrote:

The idea of battling spam by criminalizing it seems a little bit to me like leaving all your doors and windows open and trying to prosecute everyone who steals things out of your house. Sure, you might catch them all. (I doubt it, but OK.) You might even get your stuff back. But you're going to spend all your time doing that, when surely you have better things to do. Why not
lock the doors and windows?  We can do this by requiring strict
authentication.

Every legal restriction requires a technical solution too - breaking into houses is illegal, but you don't leave your windows and doors open. But you wouldn't want them to make it *legal* to break into houses. The law is there as a deterrent, not as a perfect means of stopping the crime.

Criminalising spam would have the effect of stopping the mainsleaze spammers, while giving you an extra weapon in your battle against the underground spammers. It would by no means stop spam, but then neither do any of the current workable solutions either.

Matt.