RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-17 21:14:01
Chuq,

I think a better approach at least for the first cut is to
work towards
attacks on spam for the fraudulent aspects, as in making it
illegal to
send e-mail with fraudulent return addresses to try to give ISPs a
hatchet to go after the folks using open relays. Worry about how to
deal with badly behaving mass mailers using real addresses through
other means, or as a second round of legislation.

I live in Washington State, where we have already passed the legislation you
propose.  I can tell you, unfortunately, that I don't receive any less spam
than you do.  We can theoretically pursue lawsuits against spammers in small
claims court to the tune of $500 per offense, but I have not heard of one
single spammer (not one) who has actually been forced to pay under this law.

One questions the usefulness of a legal solution to the problem, and even
whether the court system is designed to handle this volume of lawsuits.  (Do
we need spammers clogging up our court system also?)

-J