RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-14 09:01:39
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Jason Hihn wrote:

Technology alone won't solve this problem.  Laws with real teeth
are required.
However, I'm not holding my breath.

It's technology's problem. Tech created it, tech will have to fix it.

I don't agree.  It's a social and economic problem as much as a
technological problem.

As long as it is technically possible to do, you can bet we'll have
it. We are going to have to replace the email delivery system
sometime.

We don't have the luxury of waiting.  Changing from NCP to TCP when
the Internet had under 1,000 hosts was easy.  Changing a major
protocol on today's Internet is well-nigh impossible.

Filtering works now, and is immediate. No one (even close to a mesuarble
percentage uses it) Plus it only hides the problem. The bandwidth is still
wasted. Not enough email clients do a good enough job. Maybe we need a
intermediate peice that will filter it on the server before the client pics
it up?

That's what our software does.  (End-user-controlled server-side
filtering.)

But it'd have to be under user control.

Yes.

Filtering can buy us time though, and I think we should only see it as a way
to buy time and not as an end.

Filtering will always be useful because there are other reasons to want
to filter e-mail besides stopping spam.

--
David.