RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-14 16:17:59
At 9:46 AM -0700 3/14/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
I'd like to see definitions and to-be-determined ("TBD") words
something like these:

Good idea.

   forged:  envelope or header values involving forgery and that are
     fraudulently intended to evade filters or confuse mail recipients.
     Header or envelope forgery involves false and fraudulent TBD1.

What would you call it when spam software adds headers that make it look like the message was sent by a particular email client?

   filter:  any mechanism that filters or rejects or discards mail
     whether based on IP addresses, envelope values, header absence,
     presence or values, words, punctuation, or other patterns in STMP
     bodies, STMP authentication mechanims, time of day, or anything
     else.

I'd replace "filters or rejects" with "categorizes or rejects" to avoid the self-reference.

There's another kind of filter. One which, for lack of a better term, looks for "lies in the headers". These can be forged routing information, fake MUA headers or anything else that makes the message different from real mail sent from a real user.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.