RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-14 20:40:21
At 5:47 PM -0700 3/14/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
 > What would you call it when spam software adds headers that make it
 look like the message was sent by a particular email client?

If the intent is fraudulent, then it is "forgery."  Otherwise it

Well then we've just moved the question off to a different level and have to define "fraudulent". In this case obviously they are doing it to try and trick spam filters--but that's not technically fraudlent.

 > I'd replace "filters or rejects" with "categorizes or rejects" to
 > avoid the self-reference.

That would be fine, except that I'm trying to appeal to the standard
meaning of "filter" and fight the common use of "filter" in spam
circles to mean either "wonderful" or "garbage" depending on prejudices.
How about

   mail filter: any mechanism that filters by rejecting or discarding ...

The only thing that I see as confusing is that some people use filter to mean "decide to accept or discard" and others mean "decide to file in the good pile or the bad pile". I think we've seen some of that confusion here.

How about "malicious forgery filter" to make clear it is intended to
be looking for malicious nonsense instead of innocent and proper
apparent inconsistencies such as legitimate differences between envelope
sender and reverse DNS name?

That sounds good to me.
--
Kee Hinckley