Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-17 18:06:56

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 04:57  PM, John Morris wrote:

will affect the constitutional analysis. But it is likely that any spam legislation in the U.S. -- to be upheld in the long run -- will be limited to restrictions on commercial spam. (And I'd suggest that discussions of the meaning of "commercial" in this context take place off list.)

I think a better approach at least for the first cut is to work towards attacks on spam for the fraudulent aspects, as in making it illegal to send e-mail with fraudulent return addresses to try to give ISPs a hatchet to go after the folks using open relays. Worry about how to deal with badly behaving mass mailers using real addresses through other means, or as a second round of legislation.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/