Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-19 10:52:34
At 12:00 AM +0000 3/19/03, Claus Färber wrote:
Matt Sergeant <msergeant(_at_)startechgroup(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> schrieb/wrote:
 Criminalising spam would have the effect of stopping the mainsleaze
 spammers, while giving you an extra weapon in your battle against the
 underground spammers.

The main advantage of crimilalisation is that a public prosecutor, who
has more investigative powers, would have to fight spam.

The main disadvantage is that they to be interested in doing so. The fact that criminal activity is taking place does not automatically mean that the government will chase after it. In the long list of things to prosecute I suspect spam would be *way* down on the list. Unless of course you can make it a guaranteed profit center for the prosecution--like speeding tickets. But somehow I can't see spam being that simple to prosecute. (And as Barry Shein is fond of saying--why should we expect the government to chase after spammers when we won't let them tax the internet to support such things? (Rhetorical question--I do *not* want an answer.))
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.