RE: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-17 17:49:29
At 04:54 PM 3/14/2003 -0500, Jason Hihn wrote:
IANAL, but the Supreme Court has ruled that we have the right to be left
alone.

Unfortunately, it is not a "right" and I don't think they ever did. The quote you are referring to was from SC judge Louis Brandeis' minority opinion in Olmstead v. United States (1928), a wiretap case. Unfortunately, Olmstead lost. Brandeis argued that allowing wiretaps intruded on the privacy of the callers, who generally weren't the object of the wiretap order. This made excellent sense, but the court reasoned that the government's need to listen outweighed our right to privacy. Prrivacy, what right to privacy?

steve

Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the
government's purpose is beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert
to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest
dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal,
well-meaning but without understanding. -Louis Dembitz Brandeis, lawyer,
judge, and writer (1856-1941)