Re: [Asrg] The proposal to end all proposals ;-)

2003-03-14 16:42:29
At 9:58 AM -0500 3/14/03, Jason Hihn wrote:
techniques, they all fall under SMTP. If we have some servers that use
verification, while other use certs, other use some hash hand shake, and
other may use dcc, etc. we raise the barrier to entry for spamming while
giving each method a chance to 'do it's thing' and compete (and thrive if it
does well). Eventually we'll be able to see which ones work best.

I ran some large mailing lists back in the 80's. It was not fun. Just managing the bounces was hell. To remind me of this fact I keep two books around from those days. Both books describe how, if you are using mail system x and network system y, you can construct a message to get to someone on mail system a and network b. Two whole books.

What you describe would take us back there. Furthermore, it is exactly that fragmentation that is keeping anyone from investing in a new architecture--there's too big a risk that some other system will win out.

This sounds way too much like "I know, let's make it impossible for anyone to talk to each other. *That* will stop the spammers!"
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.