[Asrg] Testing content filters

2003-03-18 07:50:39
One thing the anti-virus people got right is the ability to test anti-virus engines by passing through a non-viral file that is by de-facto detected as a virus by the vendors engines. This file is called EICAR, and is a simple .COM executable that does nothing but trigger AV engines.

In order to provide something similar for spam content filters, I created something similar for spam. We put support for this into the SpamAssassin project and notified some other creators of spam content filters. Unfortunately they all ignored us.

I think this would be a good thing to support in content filters.

We called this thing "GTUBE" (Generic Test for UBE), and you can find the email that should be stopped at http://spamassassin.planetmirror.com/dist/t/data/spam/gtube.eml (note the headers are abitrary - it is the long string in the body of the message that should be detected).

The email is designed in such a way that it should not be munged by any gateways.

I urge other vendors of anti-spam content filters to support this. It's trivial, but it gives users the power to test that their filter is working.

I also think this would be something worth standardising through the IETF.

Matt.