Re: [Asrg] Testing content filters

2003-03-19 01:27:25
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

At 11:09 PM +0000 3/18/03, Matt Sergeant wrote:
So please, feel free to add in suggestions for 2 and 3. I've started the
groundwork - it won't be too hard to finish it off now.

Just to clarify.  The goal of this is to have a tag that indicates
that your software is indeed installed and functioning?  If that's
the case, couldn't we just establish an X-something header and use
the same tag?

No, the goal of this is to have a standard way to trip a spam filter that
is supported across the industry in a non-changing fashion. I don't care
*how* the filter gets tripped (whether it bounces or quarantines or adds a
header or munges the subject...), just that it does get tripped.

The idea is that when I install a new spam filter I want to be able to
check its working, and I want to be able to do that without having to use
a different email for each content filter, or without having to have
intimate knowledge of how this particular filter works.

Often a sysadmin would install a new spam filter on a test machine, so
waiting for spam to come through wouldn't be an option.

Matt.