Re: [Asrg] Testing content filters

2003-03-19 11:41:19
On Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003, at 14:10 Europe/London, Vernon Schryver wrote:

However, this does not sound useful enough for me to
put it into the DCC this year.  Spam and viruses differ.  It's far
more difficult and/or dangerous to give a Windows box a test infection
of a virus than to send test spam to a mail system.  To test a spam
filter that can be tested with a standardized test, you can instead
grab something from NANAS or whatever spam you hate and send it from
somewhere, such as a free provider or one of your own systems.

That would be fine if your content filter is 100% effective, but last time I looked the DCC wasn't. So you have no guarantee that a particular spam is going to trigger it. You're effectively asking your users to do the legwork, and that doesn't scale.

Matt.