Re: [Asrg] Tragedy of the Commons

2003-03-19 15:03:08
mike(_dot_)pearson(_at_)ssc(_dot_)govt(_dot_)nz wrote:

Thanks to those contributors who mentioned this issue. I found the following
1-page summary useful in understanding the background of the concept:
http://members.aol.com/trajcom/private/commons.htm

Hm, just deleted a concept-mail in which I put forward the tragic of the commons, and the question if economic models can help model the spam problem. I deleted it because I think many operators will frown upon their mail servers being dubbed part of the commons. Yes, eyetime is a scarce resource, but the spam problems are larger. Bandwidth, storage and CPU-cycles are also scarce resources, and have to be dealt with. Just ignoring the spammers is not enough when the sheer volume is enough to overwhelm many links and servers.

Frank