[Asrg] Re: Tragedy of the Commons

2003-03-20 10:16:57
At 5:31 AM -0600 3/20/03, Scott A Crosby wrote:
Thus, I've still thought that the mantra of 'stealing my bandwidth' is
an argument I cannot understand, because of how weak it is. I have no

The problem isn't an end-user problem. It's a mail-server problem. Matt just posted a stat showing that spam accounted for 5% of all email traffic. (And it's mail traffic I'm concerned about--since it's the bandwidth to my mail server that's a problem.) I'll give good odds that that was percentage of *delivered* mail. (Matt?) What it doesn't count are the millions and millions of messages that couldn't be delivered, had to be rejected, and then had the destination machine "temporarily" unavailable, and sat in the queue retrying for three days before they were discarded. That can consume a serious amount of bandwidth and disk space.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.