[Asrg] Re: "HashStamp" == hashcash? (Re: Stamping)

2003-03-23 11:40:08
At 12:47 AM -0600 3/23/03, Scott A Crosby wrote:
 > What is the minimumm speed CPU that you will allow to send mail?  A
 25 MHz 486 is at least 200 and perhaps 500 or 1000 times slower than
 a 3 GHz P4.  A 25 MHz 486 needs several minutes to generate 60

About 7 hours to compute a partial collision stamp. But, if the sender
already has a valid stamp (previously sent to them by the recipient),
they may use it with no computations. Recipients can compute
nonce-stamps at zero cost. Thus the 600ghz*seconds of CPU would only
be spent on new senders.

So you're saying that it's okay that people on old machines have to wait seven hours before they can send a message to someone they haven't received a message from?

(And yes, I do have friends and family on machines of that speed. And yes, they do send email to people whose address they got over the phone or off the web.)

Of course, I suppose it doesn't matter in some sense. Because the odds of anyone writing the hashcash software for their machines is pretty close to nil. They'll just always end up in the junk bin.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.