Re: [Asrg] ISPs

2003-03-22 02:18:00
We need to distinguish between the access provider (IAP) which provide
bit (or packet) transport and the ISP which providers services outside
the network. Most people buy both services from the same company and
there is no wall between the two in that the ISP is tempted to help the
IAP part of the business reduce traffic. But that's no different than
buying a newspaper which chooses and positions stories to maximize the
advertising revenue.

That is a distinction that can be made. But unless it's clear and universal
it's problematic.

Do you consider IP as being the responsibility of your IAP?
For instance - if a IAP is help responsible for traffic originating at one
of their IPs then they'll have a strong incentive to control other higher
level protocols.

Like many, I only want an IAP and not an ISP. This discussion should
make a distinction between basic protocols and services that an ISP can
provide. It shouldn't presume that the purpose of the ISP is to make the
IAP more profitable by reducing the traffic.

Bob Frankston

rmf19(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com