Re: [Asrg] My Opinion regarding ietf asrg session (it went badly!)

2003-03-21 23:04:54
From: Marshall Rose
<mrose+internet(_dot_)irtf(_dot_)asrg(_at_)dbc(_dot_)mtview(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us>

although it is unlikely that the instigators of this research group had
this intent, no one should be surprised by today's meltdown. let's face
it, an open mailing list that averages 90 messages/day does not mix with
a group trying to do research. neither does press participation.

Or marketing or management participation.

How can anyone honestly expect research to appear in a group that was
created a matter of weeks before?  What would anyone expect in the
circumstances but general talk about how bad spam is and a pep ralley
for the need to work on the problem?

At the risk of violating IETF canons, I must observe that some of
the strongest condemnations in the list of whatever happened at
the meeting came from people who have made the some of the less
well founded contributions to the mailing list.  From here I can't
tell what happened, but I wonder if sour grape sentiments from some
people about their favorite solutions not being adopted by acclamation
colored other people's perceptions and so reports of the meeting.

For that matter, unless I'n confused, I thnk some of the strongest
complaints about the meeting came from people associated with spam
solutions that have web pages more than 6 months old but (as far
as I can tell) nothing more than talk about how they're obviously
the one true fix.