Re: rant.. Re: [Asrg] My Opinion regarding ietf asrg session (it went badly!)

2003-03-23 15:58:05
From: "Alan DeKok" <aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org>

  The vast majority of the meeting was an "intro to spam".  It was
good for the reporters in the crowd, but less so for the technical
people.

Meetings are above all about non-technical, human issues.  People
with legitimate claims to being "technical" know that such meetings
are not where research gets done, or is even likely to be first
reported.  Particularly in the IRTF/IETF world, a lot gets reported
first the mailing lists.

I stand by my guess about sour grapes from avocates of silver bullets.
The common silver bullets have nothing but months (e.g. hashcash) and
sometimes years (e.g. authentication and sender-pays money) of
non-technical and often technically inaccurate talk supporting them.

I've previously proposed that one should be ashamed to offer any solution
that requires X% adoption to have X% effectiveness for X>=0.01%.  One
should also have a very good and obvious reason for adovcating any spam
solution that is more than a year old but that has not been implemented.

Talk seems to be almost as cheap in the anti-spam world as the spam world.