Re: [Asrg] Requirements for gathering statistics

2003-03-23 18:31:34
At 20:01 -0500 3/23/03, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 1:54 PM -0800 3/23/03, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
 >  2. Relative amount of spam
   a) spam as a percentage of total email (spam messages / total messages)
   b) spam as a percentage of *non-spam* email (spam messages / accepted
      messages)
Would like to all see:  size of spam messages / total size of email messages
                        size of regular emails / total size of spam

I assume that we understand that these numbers are going to be very inaccurate? Because if they were accurate, then presumably we'd know how to identify spam and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

discussion reminds me of this...

"Criminal laws in this area are constitutionally limited to hard-core
pornography. I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of
material I understand to be embraced with that shorthand description. ...
But I know it when I see it."
--Justice Potter Stewart (concurring), Jacobellis v. Ohio, 378 U.S. 184, 198 (1964).

w/r/t numbers, I ran a 30-day study of my own Hotmail box last year, with these results...

                        Size(K) Count
Legitimate messages     406     46
Spams in inbox          1319    269
Spams in junk mail box  3819    552
Total spam              5138    821

"Spam" included only messages from entities I had never had contact with, not including advertisements (wanted or unwanted) from vendors with whom i'd done business or contacted deliberately.