Re: [Asrg] My Opinion regarding ietf asrg session (it went badly!)

2003-03-20 18:56:39
We have three months to Vienna. In those three months, we need to show
to ourselves and the world - which is watching, as shown by the presence
of journalists in the meeting and earlier media interest - that the
IETF/IRTF is an independent organisation which works to create and
promote a vendor-neutral, univeral internet.

at the risk of adding the voluminous nature of this mailing list by
stating the very obvious:

    the IRTF is not the IETF

applying IETF-like expectations to an IRTF research group will result
only in heartbreak.

although it is unlikely that the instigators of this research group had
this intent, no one should be surprised by today's meltdown. let's face
it, an open mailing list that averages 90 messages/day does not mix with
a group trying to do research. neither does press participation.

some of my more wagish friends have suggested that "the B ark"
lives. for myself, i merely note the usual about paving things with good
intentions.

/mtr