[Asrg] [Slightly OT] - From: authentication

2003-03-22 10:43:23
I found it somewhat ironic that this should happen in the midst of these discussions about whether one should authenticate From/Sender/Return-Path or something else.

Yesterday I received a forwarded notice from my ISP. It was a legal threat from Universal Studios, accusing me of posting copyrighted material, and threatening to sue my ISP if they didn't make me stop.

As the complaint said:
Under the penalty of perjury, the undersigned is authorized to act on behalf of Universal with respect to this matter and the information contained in this transmission is accurate.

Their evidence?
The From: address of a Usenet posting that had
"someone(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com" in it.

And when I objected?
"We are aware that this is most likely a spoof, so please disregard the notice for this case."

Thank goodness I have an ISP with some technical acumen. If that complaint had gone to my Cable ISP they probably would have just shut me down without even telling me.

http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/2003/Copyright.Complaint.From.html for the complaint and my response. http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/2003/Re.Universal.Studios.DMC.html for the followups.

And please--if you have friends in the press or the U.S. Congress--send them a copy. This kind of negligent behavior should not go unpunished.

And yes. I think that domain authentication, even if not perfect, is a good idea.

In the meantime, it's clearly time to restart my somewhere.com Usenet cancelbot.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.