Re: [Asrg] Eye for an eye: DDoS against spammers

2003-03-23 11:38:13
At 9:05 AM -0500 3/23/03, Dave Lampert wrote:
Though I'm not an advocate of "eye for an eye" mentality, it may just work
with spammers.

Ah yes. I've had many people try to take my eye out as a result of spam. Mail bomb's, threats to my family. But my favorite response was this one:

Gather evil into your briars
Reflect negativity back to its sender
all ill will or any blight
Snatch from the air and send it back in flight
Seek out the one who did this deed
That it return to them thrice
by magick's creed
Hence more contact made by he
spew his negativity back times three.

So Mote It Be

URL DDoS: If, say, 10000 reportings share the same URL (see #3 below), then

And if the spammer includes more than one URL--one of which is to a site which they don't like?

Phone DDoS: If, say, 10000 reportings share the same phone number, then

I know people to whom this has happened.  It works this way.
1. ISP gets spammer in trouble.
2. Spammer sends spam using ISP owner's home phone number as the contact.
3. ISP owner changes home phone number.

You are talking about vigilante justice.  Its a *very* bad idea.

1. Is it legal for this to occur in all or many countries? For example,
would it be considered legal harassment for a user to have her computer call
a number several times if the number were provided as discussed?

Yes, it would be harassment.  Yes you could get in serious trouble.

2. How would you stop someone framing someone else? If an unscrupulous
company wants to hurt their competitor, they could send out spam on behalf

You don't.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering