Re: [Asrg] 6. URL "scheme" for whitelisting

2003-03-26 10:08:26

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 08:31  AM, Kee Hinckley wrote:

Again (since I've received a couple messages about this offlist), I have no interest in discussing pros and cons of different whitelisting systems.

I can say from looking at what we're seeing come back, whether you like whitelists or not is irrelevant. They're here, and they're being adopted in with increasing speed. So coming to grips with them as a service creator is necessary.

And personally, I've gone from being "not a fan" of whitelists to believing it's the way to protect role accounts from the growing abuse we're seeing (personal accounts I'm on the fence over, but that's a big shift as it is). I've had (or watched) discussions about how whitelists suck with people who instead come up with increasingly baroque validation schemes for web pages, which, when you boil it down to essenticals, is still a challenge/response system, just moved to a different point in the process, and whcih does nothing to stop mail directly into role accounts. and maybe I'm crazy, but I still have a real person who reads postmaster and abuse, and as someone who hates getting lost in "press 3 to get lost in our phone tree" voicemail systems, I don't want that to change -- when technology bollixes, the last thing you want is another piece of technology making sure nobody can tell you (and being pissed at you because of it).

All IMHO, of course. But I think it's beyond time to argue about whitelists, it's time to figure out how to deal with them and get used to responding to them.