Re: 5c. Message Status - Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

2003-03-26 10:09:35

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 08:20  AM, Kee Hinckley wrote:

I'd like to ask what people feel about making it a part of anti-spam
system such that if say somebody is sending same content message to more
then 5-10 recepients on your server, then it has to be considered
maillist email and has to contain proper maillist headers and opt-out
information.

Well, first of all it doesn't scale. Someone who sends to 5-10 recipients at somewhere.com just exceeded the number of humans with addresses there. Someone who sends to 5-10 AOL users is just in the noise.

But more critically.

But more critically, off the top of my head.

It breaks all majordomo installations out there. (all of them would have to be updated to either the unreleased Majordomo II, Mailman, Sympa, or something). It also breaks any mail list where an admin has disabled those headers because he doesn't like them (which, if you check out the mailman archives, has been a continuing discussion, mostly because, it seems, eudora for windows doesn't hide those headers, and admins therefore break the mail list software instead of fixing the client. But I'm not bitter)

It breaks all of those people who have extended announce lists in their address books.

It breaks all people who set up informal lists via sendmail aliases or their equivalent in other MTAs.

It breaks 5-6 emails I send a day to a bunch of individuals. Never does it seem to be the same 5-6 individuals.

It breaks all sorts of things. Does it solve anything? No. spammers will simply start adding those lines, since there seems to be no intent to see if the lines actually are valid or relevant (and how would you?)

In other words, we've re-invented the "Approved: header" in the NNTP/USENET protocol, meaning we haven't really invented anything useful unless the user population agrees to manage it voluntarily or there's some form of cyber-cancel bot to retro-delete the stuff.

Sorry, not a good proposal.