Re: 5c. Message Status - Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

2003-03-26 12:58:21

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 11:42  AM, Brad Templeton wrote:

It is a more interesting question if, "Ok, sales staff, I want you to all write personal thank-you letters to all of your customers, and don't cut and paste text in any of them" is a mass mailing or not. Fortuantely it's rare enough (and inherently low volume enough) that I am not worried about
including it in definitions.

However, "Have the computer send a mailing to all customers with recommendations based on their past purchases" is a mass mailing, even though each message
is different.  It's not a spam, though, because these are customers.

Is it? Even if only 20% of the message content is common?

I'm not talking about adding "Dear [[ first name ]] [[ last name ]]" to the top and calling it personalized; that's really not.

Where this stuff is headed is in that direction, too. from bulk (50,000 pieces of email, all alike -- the e-newsletter model) to mass (50,000 pieces of email, personally addressed but quite similar, sort of like the e-newsletter with an auto-pen (smirk)), to, well, something. Not sure what term to give it, but it's 50,000 individual emails that work from some template but which are customized to the specifics of the customer.

To throw an analogy to the wolves, the difference is, well, McDonalds (bulk), Subway (mass), and your local italian restaurant (where personal email is your home kitchen). It's still turning out volume cooking, but...