[Asrg] Re: 5c. Message Status

2003-03-26 12:41:00
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

Oh, I was confused.  I think spending time on bounce formats is a
bigger waste of time than "internationalizing" error messages from
programs.  In practice, computer error messages are always opaque
cybercrud to everyone except the priesthood.  "ABEND 12345" may be a

I would take this as a *reason* to standardize them.  Given that they
are getting even more confusing.  The point isn't to standardize them
for humans--but for computers.

I think standardized error messages for computers has worse problems.
Consider the example of SMTP response coes.  There are only 3 results
answers that computers can deal with, "it worked," "it failed but
might work if you try again later," and "it failed--go away."  In
practice the other literally millions of status codes and extended
status values are wasted bandwidth for humans and computers.

Maybe I'm wrong and you can make something more, such as a super 5yz
that says "not only forget this message and this target address, but
never again send a SYN to this IP address or any related TLD."