Re: 5c. Message Status - Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

2003-03-26 13:56:10

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 12:36  PM, Jon Kyme wrote:

 - I think communicating consent is hopeless and even a bad idea.
  Advertisers will never entirely honor anything but "tell me more."

This is bogus. It's like saying because there are hackers out there, all programmers can't be trusted. Let's use an even wider brush for the painting, and simply go for the entire human race in one swath.

Smart advertisers have figured out that stuffing messages down user's throats when they don't want them makes them a lot more likely to buy your products (yeah, right).

Please don't assume that since some sites (like real) are deceptive in how they do their consent management and others are outright frauds that everyone's like that. that simply polarizes a discussion into camps that fight when cooperation is in fact needed.

There's probably too much in the way of "voice from the mount"
assertions on this list.

"She is a witch! May we burn her?"