RE: 5c. Message Status - Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

2003-03-26 13:57:24
This is why I like the definition of what we want to eliminate to be
'unwanted messages that are sent indiscriminately'.

The weasel word here being indiscriminately, there are a few messages that
could be sent indiscriminately that could be mostly wanted. For example on
9/11 someone could have sent a broadcast to all RIM pagers in the US with
emergency information, I doubt it would have been unwanted in many cases.

The word indiscriminate is of course subjective, just like the term spam.
However a salesperson that sends messages to 10,000 existing customers can
hardly be considered indiscriminate, nor is a salesperson who sends
targetted messages to 100 sales prospects, nor is a message with a CFP for
an anti-spam conference sent to this list.

However sending the message to every IETF list, or to 10,000 sales prospects
etc. is indiscriminate.

                Phill