Re: 5c. Message Status - Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

2003-03-26 14:35:54

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 12:55  PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

The word indiscriminate is of course subjective, just like the term spam. However a salesperson that sends messages to 10,000 existing customers can
hardly be considered indiscriminate, nor is a salesperson who sends
targetted messages to 100 sales prospects, nor is a message with a CFP for
an anti-spam conference sent to this list.

but I tend to go further: you can be discriminate here, but still not have consent.

This is a rewrite of something I just sent to Brad privately that might illuminate what I mean. To preface it, I'll note I think people abuse the word spam horribly, to the point where it almost has no meaning any more, so any attempt to "stop spam" is going to fail because nobody can agree how to define it.

going down the rabbit hole of defining this stuff, I make a hard delineation between:

1) spam, which in my mind are those idiots that send stuff fraudulently with forged return addresses and all that other stuff.

2) legitimate marketing stuff, where the real issue is a consent issue, not a fraud issue.

for (1), the root cause is the easy ability to forge spam and the difficulty of stopping people. Since I see this kind of crap as 90% of the overall problem (or more), finding ways to lock them out of the universe is my top priority.

2) where you have real companies doing stupid things, gets lumped in with 1, but is really a different problem, and has nothing to do with cheap costs or whatever. It has to do with marketing people who ought to be kneecapped for being more worried about how many messages got sent and not about how many sales were generated...

In both cases, volume is an accelerator to the process, not a cause.

I think the issues of "solving spam" and "dealing with e-marketing consent issues" are skew. One is shutting down fraudulent operations, the other is regulating legitimate businesses who's practices might or might not be up to snuff. But they tend to get lumped together, and that adds complexity to the the problem and confuses the issues, and we end up going round and round and accomplishing nothing.

They're separate issues, needing separate solutions. I realize there's a segment that thinks all e-marketing is by definition spam, but the moderate position understands it's not. And no, I'm not excusing badly build e-marketing systems, not at all. but the amount of hassle they cause is nothing compared to the spam that's fraudulently stuffed down out throats every day. And the solutions are different.

but IMHO, you could fix every freaking e-marketer to have perfect systems with perfect consent that updates based on telepathy two days before the end-user thinks of unsubscribing -- and the typical user wouldn't notice because of all the noise and pain caused by the fraud spammers. Worse, the e-marketing stuff keeps getting dumped onto the same bonfire by the "burn witches! more witches!" crowd, which basically derails the process from allowing anyone to focus on solving the first, major problem.

I'd like to suggest that we focus on the first, big problem: the group of mass mailers that are overtly avoiding allowing users to define consent through various fraudulent means. Until that issue is solved, nothing else matters. If folks want to start a sub-group to hash out issues of consent and try to work with the legitimate e-mailers to build a standard, great, but even if that gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction, it won't matter if we all wake up to 45 messages every morning with pretty pictures of zebras in them.

I keep thinking this group sidetracks itself by being unable to really define the problems it's trying to solve (instead, looking for *a* problem and defining *a* solution), and not setting priorities among them. In all honesty, if we could cut those 45 messages with zebras to 20 messages with little bluu pills, this group would still be considered massive heroes, but there doesn't seem to be any interest or motivation towards fixing a chunk of the problem, and instead we turn around and chase our tails.

Don't think for a second I think this group's been useless, by the way. There are lots of useful things being done and lots of good mixing and sharing and considering. But I'm not seeing it moved to the next step, and the group itself seems to be somewhat passive about moving itself. And I think that's why the frustration level on the group is building, because we're tail chasing now, and nobody's defined which rabbit gets chased first...

And the reality is, there are a lot of rabbits and a lot of holes, and we need to be careful lest we step in a hole and break our ankle -- but right now, I feel like we're sitting in the kennel chasing each other.