Re: [Asrg] Consent

2003-03-30 23:12:04
In <20030330043302(_dot_)GV9659(_at_)main(_dot_)templetons(_dot_)com> Brad
Templeton <brad(_at_)templetons(_dot_)com> writes:

There are a number of people who do believe it's about consent.  [... ]

In free societies, you don't need advance consent to communicate with
somebody else.   Consent can be rescinded, as in "go away" but it is always
on by default.

I don't know many people who define spam as mearly "unsolicited
email".  They usually add things like "bulk" or "commercial" to the
requirements.

In our society you can, by default, go up to somebody on the street and
talk to them.   That is sometimes annoying, but it's a right we actually
fight hard to protect.

There are restrictions on how you can "talk" to people.  You can't
talk in an intimidating way.  You can't use a megaphone.  Political
speech has far more protections than commercial speech.  You can't
yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

The nature of email is that it is extremely cheap to send.  In order
to preserve the usefulness of email, people can only receive a certain
number of emails per day and that means there has to be some
prioritizing.

Even if there is a legal right to send UBE and/or UCE, people are
still going to try hard to filter it out.  They have to.  There are
just so many minutes in the day.

-wayne