RE: [Asrg] 5b. Opt-Out, 2nd version

2003-03-26 14:06:02

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:07:18AM -0800, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
        a. Serious issues that the encryption technology
maybe broken
       later on and as such allow to get clear list of all
opted-out
       email addresses

Alas, there is no maybe about it.

    Spammer's List of 50 million E-mail addresses | cleaning
service | diff

    Will get you effectively all the email addresses that have gone on
    the opt-out list.  I mean, if you aren't on the spammer's
lists, you have
    minimal reasons to go on the opt-out list so it is
effectively complete.
    (Though corporate sites can put their entire population
on the list
    with safety, but in that case why not just list the
domain rather than
    the individuals.)

We could add to the list addresses that are not actually valid - like
the striker addresses for example.

This would mean that the results of the diff would be a mixture of
good and bad emails. If anything the result of a check would be more
likely to give a bad email than a good one.

        Phill