RE: [Asrg] 5b. Opt-Out, 2nd version

2003-03-26 15:04:50
Validate them???

Like folk might not want to be on the opt-out list???

Wouldn't *.com, *.edu ... be likely a correct first guess :-)

There are plenty of ISPs complaining that they are getting tons of spam sent
to non-existent addresses. It is not a bad idea to have a way to exclude
them.

I guess someone could inherit an email address and complain that they are
not getting the spam they wanted...

                Phill

-----Original Message-----
From: Kee Hinckley [mailto:nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 4:34 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: 'Brad Templeton'; william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net; 'Asrg
(asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org)'
Subject: RE: [Asrg] 5b. Opt-Out, 2nd version

At 1:04 PM -0800 3/26/03, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
We could add to the list addresses that are not actually valid - like
the striker addresses for example.

How would you validate them?  And if you don't, why wouldn't some
helpful person do a dictionary attack on the opt-out list in order to
remove everyone.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so
unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so
eager to regulate
everyone else's.