Re: [Asrg] 5b. Opt-Out, 2nd version

2003-03-27 09:52:32
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:14:39AM -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:
DATA) to get the same effect as VRFY.  Note that sendmail does not
normally log RCTP_To commands used in place of VRFY.

I use a heavily patched qmail and I see everything ;-) like
   12-247-32-83.client.attbi.com:12.247.32.83
        allowed: <MikeRiley22(_at_)optinnow(_dot_)net> to
<ann(_at_)space(_dot_)net>
using this method against a qmail smtpd doesnt make sense at all, as
qmail will accept all messages, except for blocked sender addresses
(badmailfrom).

Spammers vary.  Some don't want to offend prospective customers and
see everyone as a prospect.  Others don't have as as much foresight
and don't care if they offend non-customers.

I have talked to a former customer (a publisher of computer magazines)
who did a spam mailing to about 50000 addresses to get new subscribers.
He said he doesn't care much about offending. The users that read it
and find it interesting aren't offended and do a trial or become
subscribers at once. The ones that are not interested may be offended,
but he doesn't care about them.
IMHO the problem with spam is that it still works, 'cause if they are
interested they say "damn, it's spam, but it's interesting" and they
but it.

I also know about a smaller ISP that fought (and fights) spam whenever
possible. But when one of the admins was spammed with a offering for
cheap USENET news service via satellite they signed the contract with
that company. *sigh*

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299