Re: [Asrg] 5b. Opt-Out, 2nd version

2003-03-27 08:51:00

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 03:04  AM, Markus Stumpf wrote:

I have yet to see a reason why spammers should honor an opt-out list at all. With snail mail it a massive cost factor, so "robinson lists" save a lot
of money for the sender.

It's yet another example of lumping the e-marketers in with the fraudulent spammers, and assuming they're one in the same in search of "a solution". The e-marketing segment is a different beast (and a much tinier problem) to the problem of all that forged garbage. The folks who are already hiding themselves won't deal with opt-out lists, other than to grab them to spam to them, also. Opt-out lists would be great with the e-marketing segment, but 100% compliance in that segment woldn't even be noticed if we don't fix the bigger problem.