Re: 5c. Message Status - Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

2003-03-26 12:20:42

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 10:34  AM, Kee Hinckley wrote:
I would take this as a *reason* to standardize them. Given that they are getting even more confusing. The point isn't to standardize them for humans--but for computers.

Exactly. The system I built, though, is getting ~99.6% accuracy in auto-processing now, so it can be done with a few hacks. What's left is mostly places that are going out of their way to try to "help" (Adobe and LLNL both have very helpful 'they aren't here any more' messages that are useless for auto-processing) and people building their own scripts badly, and a couple of systems like First Class (grr) that still seem to think the entire e-mail universe is a local network running phonenet or something. First Class is probably half of my un-automated bounces, but I'm working on figuring out ways to outsmart their stupid mailer short of unsubscribing entire domains in disgust (since First Class also tends to bounce stuff to the sender, not the envelope, and we've talked to Centrinity about it and they don't see this as a problem, when one of them pops up on our list server sites, that domain DOES get blacklisted until it gets fixed, preferably with real server software...)